Senior Software Engineer
At Media Suite, we have a wide range of clients, but we specialise in meaningful public sector work, which will not only have a positive impact on communities (and government) but will enable them to adapt in a fast-changing world. We create systems and software to solve challenging and meaningful problems in various domains. If you’re up for a challenge and want to be surrounded by awesome colleagues who care deeply about what they do, you’re looking in the right place.
Our purpose is to build the right thing, we do that by combining thoughtful design with clever technology. We use various Agile methods to deliver our projects and continually reflect upon and make improvements to our systems and processes. We’re a curious and values-driven crew who take pride in doing meaningful work.
As an Accredited Employer we’re also excited & ready to hire from outside New Zealand again.
What we need:
We are on the hunt for a strong Senior Software Engineer. To us, that means someone with a minimum of 7 years experience who is a very strong individual contributor and is accustomed to being responsible for the entire lifecycle of a project or feature. You’ll definitely be someone who can capably deliver their own work but you will also make a broader, organisational impact through your work. It might be that you excel in providing technical leadership and direction for key projects & teams of developers or you might hold particularly strong domain expertise (perhaps in a particular technology or subject matter). You will definitely need to be comfortable with pair programming sessions and be happy to offer and receive feedback and advice and be someone inherently curious who takes pride in honing their craft.
Technical skills are really important but so is how well you can work within the team and help us to raise the technical standard across our Engineering Chapter.
Some of the practical day-to-day things you can expect to be doing:
- Work with project leads to provide technical leadership to deliver solutions for our partners.
- Supporting the technical pre-sales effort.
- Building web applications for local and central government, national and international business (along with a handful of charitable organisations).
- Designing beautifully usable websites or implementing complex back-end systems - we can offer a range of projects to leverage your skills & keep you growing.
- Leading the development effort in multi-disciplinary, cross-functional, agile teams.
- Providing technical leadership to other Engineers.
- Providing curiosity and capability to Guild day projects and investigations.
- Owning, investigating and resolving tricky issues for our Support Team to ensure our partners get life-cycle support and value from their solutions.
Skills, Experience & Education:
We’d expect to see a minimum of 4 years of software experience but we’re very happy to see more. We’d expect to see a recognised degree qualification, which may well be Computer Science but we are open to other qualifications with transferable skills. We work with a wide array of technologies, but the majority of the work will require being familiar with:
- Python, normally within Django Web Framework.
- CSS / SCSS
- DevOps - (AWS, CircleCI, Docker, Kubernetes and Helm)
In terms of specialty we would be very excited if you had experience (or a strong interest) in any of the following:
- Big Data, Analytics and Machine Learning
- Front-end development UI/UX
- Business rules Solutions
- SecOps/Information Security
- Testing Frameworks and approaches
- Technical and/or Solution Architecture
We do value the cultural fit and attitude ahead of specific technical experience. We understand that a lack of confidence can hold us back from applying for a job, we also know there's no such thing as the 'perfect' candidate. Our employment philosophy is pretty simple, we look for the right people and then do what it takes to get them on board and keep them around. We invest in the right people to help realise their potential.
*A full position description can be made available on request.
We cherish our culture, so every hire we make is carefully considered. We are a team of curious-minded people who support each other, hold robust debates and don’t mind helping each other move house on the weekend. We thrive on challenges, we view our successes (and failures) as opportunities for growth, and we never, ever want to stop learning. We value mindset over skill set and we believe the team is more powerful than the individual.
We are an equal-opportunities employer, we don’t just accept our differences, we celebrate our diversity and grow through sharing our unique experiences and perspectives. We are wholeheartedly committed to creating an inclusive environment that offers each of us the chance to thrive.
Salary and Benefits:
We offer competitive remuneration based on the skills and experience you demonstrate during the interview process.
In addition to your salary, the following benefits are also offered.
- $2,000 professional development and training budget, plus time and space for learning
- $1,000 tech budget
- 4% matched kiwi saver contributions
- Guild days (usually 2 days off-project every 6 weeks to 2 months) when we come together to form new teams and explore improvements, ideas and new technologies to keep our curiosity alive.
- Hybrid working arrangements and a Core Hours approach to provide you with flexibility.
Location and Hours:
Ideally, we would like this role to be based in Christchurch, however, we are open to remote work for the right candidate. You will be collaborating with an NZ-based team so being within the NZ time zone is critical. We’ll confess to having a slight preference for full-time work (40 hours per week) but we understand this does not work for all candidates, so if you only have part time availability we’d still love to see you apply.
We are committed to improving diversity in the tech industry and encourage all qualified applicants regardless of race, skin colour, religion, ancestry, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or any other underrepresented group to apply for this position.
Please use the 'Apply' button on this page to submit your CV and a Cover letter.
Please ensure you include your experience and expertise along with some information outlining your background, current employment situation, and why you think you would be a good fit within our team.
It would be great if you can include links to any of your online profiles (e.g. GitHub & Stack overflow).
Submit Your Application
- You have errors in applying