User Interface Designer (3 Month Contract)
We are looking for a User Interface Designer to supplement our team for a 3-month, fixed-term contract.
You will be working alongside our Head of User Experience, creating a series of complex user interfaces and providing UX guidance to both internal and external development teams.
A key focus will be on working with various team members including product owners, analysts and technical staff to understand the complex requirements and diverse approaches for solving various UX/UI challenges. The goal is to bring a seamless and consistent user experience for various user personas while reducing data entry time. Your ability to quickly build relationships and communicate effectively will be essential to success.
You will be expected to help create design prototypes and collaborate on the design of new components and patterns using tools like UXPin.
Industry experience of at least 3 years and familiarity with the challenges of designing User Interfaces for web-based software is a must. To be very clear, experience with the design of a marketing website is not what we are looking for, you will need to be well versed in agile software development processes.
- Proven experience with UI design for web-based software interfaces
- Proficiency with tools like Sketch, UXPin, Figma, inVision, Adobe XD etc
- Experience with creation of design systems and pattern libraries
- Experience working with a wide range of people including business stakeholders, PMs, POs, BAs and developers to understand requirements
- Experience conducting user research, interviews and usability testing
- Experience creating UX artefacts like wireframes, personas, user journey maps, scenarios etc
- Sound knowledge of UI and UX best practices for the web.
We cherish our culture, so every hire we make is carefully considered. If you’re tempted to join the Media Suite team, be sure to read on and make sure our ideologies are aligned.
We are a team of curious-minded people who support each other, hold robust debates and don’t mind helping each other move house on the weekend. We thrive on challenges, we view our successes (and failures) as opportunities for growth, and we never, ever want to stop learning.
We value mindset over skillset and we believe the team is more powerful than the individual.
Our employment philosophy is simple. We look for the right people and then do what it takes to get them on board and keep them around. We aren’t scared to invest in the right people to help realise their potential.
We are open to this being a contract role or fixed-term employment. Competitive remuneration relative to your experience will be offered.
Location of work
The DX team is located in our Christchurch head office. Effective remote working takes practice and discipline, however, for the right person with a proven track record, we would consider a remote position. You will be collaborating with a NZ based team so being in time zone is critical.
Covid-19 - Ways of Working
These are some unusual times. While we would generally work together in an office or even co-locate with our client development teams, right now we are focused on providing and supporting alternative ways of work. Our head office is open for a skeleton crew who prefer to work in-office (subject to additional Health and Safety protocols).
We would expect that the successful candidate would be willing to work in-office alongside the Head of UX in order to develop trust and confidence in each other's work, at least initially. Once that trust is established we would be comfortable supporting WFH if that is the candidate’s preference.
About the work
We build web applications for local and central government, national and international business, along with a handful of charitable organisations.
Our projects are generally interesting. They are large enough to get your teeth into, but not so big that you get bogged down forever.
We are excited to solve real-world problems, actually making a difference in improving lives, the environment and efficiency.
How we work
Our mandate is to build the right thing by combining thoughtful design with clever technology.
We use various Agile methods to deliver our projects and continually reflect upon and make improvements to our systems and processes.
Working with us
If you were part of the Media Suite Team this past year, you might have:
Been a teacher and the student:
- Presented a topic at one of our “Learning Lunches” or local JS meetup.
- Signed up for specialist training in areas you are passionate about.
Built meaningful things:
- Contributed to a government-backed system to help plan, coordinate and collaborate on the Christchurch rebuild.
- Developed a range of environmental science databases which help monitor New Zealand’s natural resources.
- Worked on a range of initiatives providing commuters with tools to reduce their commute time.
- Developed tools to support the professional development of teachers.
Please use the 'Apply' button on this page to submit your CV. Please ensure you include your experience and expertise along with some information outlining your background, current situation.
It would help to include links or examples of some of your work.
Submit Your Application
- You have errors in applying